Friday, March 27, 2015

LARGO DAS ARTES: DAY 54

I have landed in Sao Paulo! This morning I took a taxi to Rio Santos Dumon Airport. The airport was so close to the city that I could still see the iconic Rio mountain.





I arrived at my friend Mariana Bern apartment around 12am. Everything was organised for me while Mariana was at work. I found Jucelio - the guardian of the building - that gave me the key and ... what a coincidence... Mariana lives in a building with the same spiral stairs I photographed yesterday in Rio! Instead of yellow all white! Serendipity!!!





Quickly I went to lunch at the closest restaurant called Tavares and I ordered the soup of the day "cappellicini in brodo", very nice but... quite expensive in relation to Rio! Sao Paulo is a city so so different from Rio, more European style and it is a great place for finding or exhibit in galleries rather than be inspired by. So my aim was to find contemporary galleries and Brazilian artists exhibiting in Sao Paulo. I followed the list that Manuel Sayad and Frederico Pellachin suggested before leaving Rio and they were all very close to the apartment! 




Galleria Rabieh was the first I noticed from the street. The Brazilian artist Lidia Lisboa artwork I saw was amazing with hand made crochet installations, print and ceramic. Mariana guided me around and invited me to the vernissage tomorrow from 11 to 5pm.








Galleria Emma Thomas was not ready to view because they were installing a new show buts still the manager Daniel Marchezini and Pedro were guiding me through the permanent stockroom made by young promising Brazilian artists. 






Galleria Mendes Wood another refined contemporary gallery showing 3 solos Brazilian artists: 1. Matheus Rocha Pitta with 'Premeira Pedra', inviting the audience to exchange one of their personal stone with a cement/cube made by the artist.




2. Adriano Amaral with 'TraysForFlotation', a mesmerising and minimalist installation made with died fabric, neon, sculpture and videos.








3. Marina Perez Simao with 'Diario de Bordo of uncatalogued landscapes', a unique painter.





Finally Galleria Luisa Strina with a Argentinian artist Matias Duville.









1 comment: