Monday, February 9, 2015

LARGO DAS ARTES: DAY 8

Let's start working now. 

I am filming and taking pictures with my mobile and with a not high definition video camera... a cheap one just in case I will lose it. 

With all the material I found in SAARA, the most incredible market I ever seen and so close to Largo das Artes studio, stopping to take videos, recording sounds and photos all very very fast, I need to sit down and elaborate my project. 








I know that I need just a moment and than translate that present moment in something more lyrical. Brazil is poesia and raw reality at the same time. To be able to investigate on concepts of mixing cultures based on the wave of Pororoca (see previous blog) I am flooding with hips of informations. 

I feel confident that I will be able to reduce the enormous amount of material available and so inspiring!

COLOUR, EVERYDAY MATERIAL, CARNEVAL, PARADES, DIFFERENT BELIEFS AND CULTURES, HOT AND HUMID, FAN...are all raw concepts I want to elaborate further.

This is what I found today a piles of ice boxes that indigenous and african people use to put ice on it and sell drink's cans. I like the idea to use them as totems for my installation to project the carnival movies I edited in Imovie. To try I bought just three of them:  3, 5 and 7 litres.





At the same time I experimented to project my movies on other surfaces....I wish to have brought more pocket projectors... but my luggage was already 28 kilos... I couldn't do more than that.






Fans are part of Brasilian everyday life and what I like most are that one with three wings hang from the ceiling. I have one in my room that make so much noise and looks so unstable ready to decapitate heads while sleeping! So fan impressed me so far! What if I create a minimalist dark room full of FANS making metallic sounds and invisible patterns while moving fast and slow.  This is what I did today as well...Largo das Artes has a dark room to project!!! Yeah!!!!















I need to do a short time project to exhibit on the 26th of February so the reason why I have postponed the more elaborated acoustic installation that I will create with speaker shells hanging from the ceiling and light material bouncing on it under sound waves vibrations.... 

My head is spinning but I try to focus also in this final installation that I have already imagined such a tropical forest made of electrical cords hanging from the speakers...  Tomorrow I have appointment at 5pm with Frado the person that helped an other artist to install hips of speakers (max 20)! So in order to be able to explain my project to him today I went to buy one speaker shell and I found the right guy that helped me to add  + and - electrical cords!!!! 

This second hand speaker with 20cm of diameter works very well and the white piece of paper was bouncing up and down under the sound's vibrations!!! EUREKA!!! I was so happy that I didn't resist dancing under the rhythm of the cd!!! I made the guy smile and this made my day... The speaker is in my studio now ready to be tested!




























1 comment: